Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day on Sunday! I love Mother's Day. I love being a mom. I love my kids. It's a day celebrating what a good job I'm doing. I hope. Anyway, it's one of those days I like to hype up before it gets here since I believe my husband might just let it pass by without really thinking about it since he's less of the "Hallmark Holiday" type. However, since each and every day of my life for the past 6 years has revolved around the care and comfort of first one and then two little ones I reserve the right to have one day a year that it's all about me. Mwah ha ha. ;)
Here is my fantasy Mother's Day: I awake gently, not because there is a toddler screaming for me, or a 5 year old wanting me to turn on the tv because it is **almost** 7 am, but gently and happily because I smell the sweet aroma of Belgian Waffles and crispy bacon wafting through the air. After my delicious waffle and bacon breakfast (which I do not have to clean up any of) I will get to have a blissfully relaxing massage. After the massage is over I will get to take a nap (because really after a relaxing massage wouldn't it be wonderful if they would just leave you alone and let you go to sleep for awhile in their relaxing room) and since this is an imaginary scenario they can just roll the massage table outside into the sun and if they can just flip me over like halfway through my nap so I could wake up evenly tanned, that would be fab. This is as far as my fantasy Mother's Day imaginings have gone since I just can't imagine it getting much better... except this version doesn't include any of the wonderful people that actually make me a Mom and I don't think they have tanning naps at the spa...
So, my real hopes for Mother's Day are to wake up at the "real" 7 and not almost 7. Then I'm going to go and enjoy a wonderful worship service with my family. Then I do hope to go out to a nice brunch (hint, hint ;)  In the afternoon I hope to snuggle up with the boy king (my lovey little wild 2 year old) and take a nap curled up with him. Then when he wakes up we'll have what my daughter calls a "family hug" where we all snuggle and laugh. Next we'll probably go for a golf cart ride and look for alligators and fox squirrels. If we're lucky we will happen upon the ice cream man, who has the most AMAZING ice cream sandwiches ever! After dinner once the boy king goes off to bed I'm going to spend some "big girl" time with my sweet one. I love the mother/daughter ritual of painting her finger and toe nails. She loves picking out multiple colors and deciding on a pattern. "No Mommy, this hand will be pink, red, pink, red, pink but that hand will be red, pink, red, pink, red." It's such a sweet time as she's so concerned to sit absolutely still so she doesn't "mess them up." Then we'll go curl up on her bean bag and read some chapters from her latest fairy chapter book. Then she'll go off to bed to. Once the little darlings are off in dreamland the hubs and I will settle down to check the dvr list and just hang out. It's a simple not fancy day but it is just the thing to make me happy. I've been blessed with an incredible family and I'm thankful for them every day and try to be the best mom and wife possible every day. Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment